The KNVM/NVMM science committee makes the Kiem Awards (EUR 500) available for the best first publications written by young microbiologists, whom are society members and are at the start of their microbiology career. Submissions are evaluated based on the quality of the candidate's first publication, on condition that it has been published less than a year ago, in an internationally renowned academic journal and that the candidate is the first author. The prizes, which were first awarded in 2000, are named Kiem, which is Dutch for 'germ' (germination). Every year during the KNVM/NVMM Scientific Spring Meeting up to three prizes are awarded, one each in the categories "general microbiology", "medical microbiology", or "microbial ecology". The jury consists of members of the KNVM/NVMM science committee.
You can mail your submission to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Niels Willemse. An emerging zoonotic clone in the Netherlands provides clues to virulence and zoonotic potential of Streptococcus suis. Sci Rep 6: 28984 (2016).
- Wenshi Wang. Convergent transcription of interferon-stimulated genes by TNF-α and IFN-α augments antiviral activity against HCV and HEV. Sci Rep 6: 25482 (2016).
- Vincent van Winden. Mycosins are required for the stabilization of the ESX-1 and ESX-5 type VII secretion membrane complexes. MBio 7: e01471-16 (2016).
- Eric Hester. Stable and sporadic symbiotic communities of coral and algal holobionts. ISME J 10: 1157-1196 (2016).
- Kirsten Koymans. Structural basis for inhibition of TLR2 by staphylococcal superantigen-like protein 3 (SSL3). Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 112: 11018-11023 (2015).
- Kirsten Ziesemer. Intrinsic challenges in ancient microbiome reconstruction using 16S rRNA gene amplification. Sci Rep 5: 16498 (2015).
- Guido Bastiaens. Efficacy and safety of the mosquitocidal drug ivermectin to prevent Malaria transmission after treatment: a double-blind, randomized, clinical trial. Clin Infect Dis 60: 357-365 (2015).
- Daan Swarts. DNA-guided DNA interference by a prokaryotic Argonaute. Nature 507: 258-261 (2015).
- Karlijn Bastiaansen. The Prc and RseP proteases control bacterial cell-surface signalling activity. Environm Microbiol 16: 2433-2443 (2014).
- Jelle Slager. Antibiotic-induced replication stress triggers bacterial competence by increasing gene dosage near the origin. Cell 157: 395-406 (2014).
- András Spaan. The staphylococcal toxin Panton-Valentine Leukocidin targets human C5a receptors. Cell Host Microbe 13, 584-594 (2014).
- Qian Feng. MDA5 detects the double-stranded RNA replicative form in Picornavirus-infected cells. Cell Reports 2: 1187-1196 (2012).
- Ambepitya Wickramsinghe. Binding of avian coronavirus spike proteins to host factors reflects virus tropism and pathogenicity.J Virol 85: 8903-8912 (2011).
- Bas Surewaard. Inactivation of staphylococcal phenol soluble modulins by serum lipoprotein particles. Plos Pathog 8: e1002606 (2012).
- Kathrin Beilharz. Control of cell division in Streptococcus pneumoniae by the conserved Ser/Thr protein kinase StkP. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 109: E905-913 (2012).
- Robin Ohm. Genome sequence of the model mushroom Schizophyllum commune. Nat Biotechnol 28: 957-963 (2010).
- Els van der Meijden. Discovery of a new huma polyomavirus associated with Trichodysplasia spinulosa in an immunocompromized patient. Plos Pathog 6: e1001024 (2010).
- Mohammad Al-Najjar. Conversion and conservation of light energy in a photosynthetic microbial mat ecosystem. ISME J 4: 440-449 (2010).
All winners before 2011 can be downloaded here.